Monday, June 27, 2005

Nothing To Rav About

Saturday night was ______________. (fill in blank with any negative word)

(1) It was supposed to be an outing comprising of 6-8 people. A whopping sum of eighteen people turned up at Mr Bean's. Being late, our deserved placing was at the end of the table, where basically only 5 people were within earshot. Rich, an obnoxious person of dubious identity, since nobody really ascertained his identity, clung on like a leech all night. Loud and brash, he attempted to joke at the wrong moments, sending the entire table into periodic moments of awkward silence. Turning over to Leion helplessly, I hissed into his ear about my growing impatience towards Rich. Ding read my body language and he was soon over to rescue me by swopping seats with Rich on the pretext of mingling around with the others. Utterly grateful for that, we eased into a friendly conversation with the rest.

(2) Eu turned up unexpectedly with his other half and that clammed me up the whole night. Girlfriend from Hell she is, she has coerced him into messaging all his female friends from time to time, expressing his "decision" to terminate their friendship. Needless to say, I was a victim when she scrutinized his logs and messages. Bearing an inferiority complex, she wields absolute power over him much like an Empress Dowager does to a eunuch. Constantly at her beck and call, he's done more than he could and should. The irony? She's slept with more guys than the total number of digits on my limbs. Justification? Eu had riled her and in her impulsive rage, a bedding spree was ignited to spite him. Can you blame me for clamming up the moment I saw her? I didn't want Eu to get into further trouble since Ms Gasoline was spontaneously combustible.

(3) The hours and minutes ticked past rather painfully. At approximately 10pm, I leaned over to Hum who was 3 seats away and gesticulated a drinking session after Mr Bean's. He nodded in fervent glee. At 11pm, the group dispersed and indivduals trickled away into the shadows of the night. 10 of us were left. Ding had to be in church the next morning (so was I!) and left with Vi. 8 people standing. Rich had overheard our post-outing plan and was hanging around. URGH. Desperately pleading with Zhihao and Chris to join us, I nearly snapped when
they declined and Rich self-inducted himself into the group. Six of us. I was muttering under my breath.

(4) To up his popularity, Rich suggested that we headed to Rav at Boat Quay. The owner was his friend and cover charges would be waived. Enticed by the exterior I had came across previously, I agreed reluctantly. BIG MISTAKE. It got to the point that Vern and I actually holed ourselves in the lavatory for a long while. It was our sole recluse away from Mr Urgh. The boss came over later and proposed a toast to us. Honourable...Not. Despite having the cover charges waived, drinks came with a hefty price tag at $40 per jug. A jug wasn't even sufficient to fill 6 glasses and a 2nd jug had to be ordered. Two drinks each, loaded with ice. Technically, it was $14 for a brimming glass of vodka each. Commercial pop was spun. I kid you not when I say that "Addicitive" (by Truth Hurts) was played at least 6 times consecutively.

(5) Time slipped away into the night inconspicuously. It was 2 am. Rich was STILL with us. Ignoring him completely, I beckoned the rest for supper. Deliberating over the location of choice, Jalan Kayu was finally settled upon. In K's car, Rich remained blissfully unaware of his notoriety and continued with his intolerable behaviour. Hum and Vern were visibly peeved but remained cordial. A wrong turn meant we were cruising along in the opposite direction. Tucking into roti prata & mee goreng, Rich was ostensibly ignored by now. We left after supper and by a stroke of unfortunate coincidence, Rich lived near Vern. Hence, Hum, Vern & Rich alighted at the same stop and K drove me home. Bedtime? Past 5am. Time to stir? 7.30 am.

(Disclaimer: It's not within me to be mean to others but when someone starts making derogatory remarks and putting down others while thinking it's a formula for a great joke, it is a recipe for disaster. More importantly, a lack of basic courtesy never fails to irk me. On hindsight, my patience was stretched to a limit and that increased my threshold of tolerance towards crude and rude people like Rich. A continuum of life's lessons. o_O)

Photographs Below:
(1) Chris on the phone
(2) Before we arrived at Mr Bean's
(3) Us at Mr Bean's
(4) Us at Mr Bean's (Rich's smudged)
(5) Us at Mr Bean's
(6) Hum, Vern, Me & K at Rav VIP section
(7) Hum, Vern, Me & K at Rav VIP section

*Rich has been cropped from the last 2 photographs*





























































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home