Wednesday, September 07, 2005

fidus Achates

The following is addressed to individual friends who matter to me:

Dear Pal, I didn't know what to say when you sobbed over the phone. I felt guilty for not being able to be by your side. Perhaps I was shocked that it happened out of the blue. I tried to rationalise and analyse the situation you're in but we both know that words are superfluous. The decision is not yours to make. The ball is in her court. There is nothing I can do but to support you through this obstacle ahead of you.

Hello Amigo, I'm sorry I took you for granted. I'm sorry I never asked. It's easy to apologise and let time bury this incident. We've been firm friends for such a long time but I've never realised it till you chided me today, "You never cared to ask." I sensed the bitterness in your voice. I know I've let you down repeatedly and you've always taken it in your stride. You are an important friend to me. You know that, don't you? You're leaving tomorrow. I hope to see you again when you return.

Salutations Brother. I'm glad to see that you've finally found The One and though she keeps a tight rein over you, you've changed for the better. Gone are the days of wild partying, cross-dressing parties in Sydney (you were babelicious, man!), weird hair colours and melancholic rants in the middle of the night. It's hard to get used to the brand new you with brown hair. (your most normal hair colour ever in these seven years!) She's doing a good job! =)

My Friend, there is something which you must know. Perhaps you do. Perhaps you don't. Perhaps you're pretending you don't. I do not know. I think we're withdrawing into the confinements of our fragile shells. Is it sheer coincidence or is it pre-empted on your part? Perhaps I'm doing it subconsciously on my part too. I feel like I know you but yet I do not. We seem to be revelling in a continuum of distance. Are you basking in the shadows, hoping that reality doesn't sink in? Or do you remain nonchalant? Whatever it is, when the time comes, dear Friend, I hope you'll remember me. I hope you won't hate me because despite everything, I never meant to hurt you. Till then, the mystery remains as such.

Sister, I did not answer your calls nor reply to your smses not because I wasn't ready to forgive but rather, perhaps I wasn't ready to forget. It's been nearly eight years since it'd happened. We were the best of friends since we tottered about in kindergarten, holding hands and grappling with petty issues about whose turn it was to be on the swing. That brings a bittersweet smile to my face. You would pop by my house every weekend, relishing in fantasies and roleplaying princesses, chi-chi taitais and such. Growing up, I would spend the holidays at your house, teaching you Maths and English. Your brother and I would waggle our hands in exasperation at having to explain the binomial theorem to you for the nth time. Despite not being academically inclined, you've finally found happiness and finally, those who'd despised you would have to swallow their envy when they realise that you've married one of the most affluent people in that part of Indonesia. I know what'd happened wasn't your fault. Give me time, sister. One day, we'll hug each other in tears again. It will happen. Just give me time.


--It is now 5am. I shall retreat to my world of escapism again. Goodnight.--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home