Monday, November 14, 2005

Happy 27th Birthday, Qi

Dear Qi,

Your image surfaces and reminds me of your existence during this time of the year. How are you? I've not seen you since you left college, aside from that fleeting chance encounter last year. Do you remember all the silly incidents that we now look back upon and recoil in mock horror? The camp, the award, the pepsi keychain, the OshKosh B'Gosh bag, the letters.....Hello Kitty. Hello Kitty bridged the gap between us and broke the ice with carefully inscribed words.

Retracing the sands of time, it still tickles me when I recall your clique cornering and later, interrogating me at 9pm in the canteen. That silly little wave they did while chorusing "Hello Kitty!" and the horror of facing the panel of 6 senior 'judges' when I was still clad in my secondary school uniform- these are memories that cannot be taken away from me. Propped between two boxes in my room is the Snoopy balloon. A sentimental gift from you on Valentine's Day in 1996, it remains tucked in its corner undisturbed, untouched, unnoticed.

10 years have passed. You're nothing more than a memory now, ceasing to exist during the other 364 days.

On this 365th day, Happy 27th Birthday, Qi, wherever you may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home