Thursday, January 26, 2006

Backstreet's Back....Alright!

(pics to be uploaded over the weekend)

Vern & I caught the Backstreet Boys' "Never Gone" Concert last night and were transported back to the times when the refrains of "I'll Never Break Your Heart" and "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" melted every secondary school / junior college female.

AJ did a fantastic live rendition of "I'll Never Break Your Heart" while Brian charmed with his smooth voice.Nick was visibly fatter than he was, and I don't mean oh-so-cute-baby-fat. He had a whale of a time on the guitar. Howie was definitely the best dancer. Kevin, the oldest in the group (in his late thirties!), queerly enough, received the loudest cheers and whistles as he tinkered on the ivories.

Although the current album "Never Gone" has cleverly hinged on the current trend of alternative rock while retaining the familiar R&B groove so as not to alienate BSB's fan base, and having done well enough to be deemed a successful comeback album, the songs drew a lukewarm response from the crowd, save for "Crawling Back To You" and "Incomplete" (and that's probably because these songs have been played to death on the radio). It was quite a shame though, as "Never Gone" had other fabulous songs like "Never Gone" (duh), "Climbing The Walls", "I Just Want You To Know" and "Siberia".

When Brian belted out, "Everybawdeh.............", the instant response drawn from the crowd was "Yeahhhhh.....". He seemed to relish that nostalgic moment when BSB was distinctly the most successful group in the late 90s. That was the climax of the night as everyone danced or at least, wiggled their shoulders to this wildly popular song from the Millenium album. "I Want It That Way" was definitely disappointing as everyone waited in anticipation, only to hear a strange rearranged tune. (Note: Fans don't care if it's a smoothly rearranged genre. We want it the original way. We want it THAT way!) Remember the uber cool MTV with chairs as each BSB member morphed seamlessly into each other's figure in "As Long As You Love Me" ? Apparently too old for nifty dance steps, the group chose wisely not to rehash the chair routine. Who could forget the angsty "Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely", the cheesy "Shape of My Heart", the cringeworthy "Drowning", and the woeful "All I Have To Give"?

Omitted songs that left me disgruntled were: "Anywhere For You", "What Makes You Different (Makes You Beautiful)", "No One Else Comes Close" and "Like A Child". BUT, the greatest cardinal sin was to omit "How Did I Fall In Love With You"! Comprehending the lack of exposure of this little-known song has always astounded me.

Some of My Favourite Tracks & Their Corresponding Lyrics (admittedly not the best literature around):

1. Siberia
My heart did time in Siberia
Was waiting for the lie to come true.
And it's all so dark and mysterious
When the one you want doesn't want you too.

2. Crawling Back To You
Everybody knows that I was such a fool to ever let go of you
And baby I was wrong
And yeah I know I said we'd be better off alone
It was time that we moved on
I know I broke your heart, I didn't mean to break your heart
But baby, here I am, banging on your front door
I'm grasping on the floor
My hands and knees are bruised and I'm crawling back to you
I'm begging for a second chance
Are you gonna let me in?
I was running from the truth and now I'm crawling back to you.

3. How Did I Fall In Love With You
What can I do to make you mine?
Fallen so hard, so fast this time.
What did you say, What did I do?
How did I fall in love with you...
Everything's changed, we never knew
How did I fall in love with you?

4. Like A Child (Brian's good at wrenching those hearts!)
If I could right the wrongs that made you cry
Would you promise not to say goodbye
Cause I'm holding on with a love so strong
And I can't take the day without you by my side...
...And if you take away the loving arms that surround me
Then I may break down and cry just like a child.

5. Every Time I Close My Eyes
Every time I close my eyes
I see your face and I wonder
When you close your eyes
Do you think about me?

6. 10000 Promises
What about your, your ten thousand promises
That you gave to me
Your ten thousand promises
That you promised me
Once we were lovers,
Just lovers we were.
Oh, You and I
What a lie.

I wish you were there with me last night.

On a positive note, Backstreet's Back....Alright! Now, what's this I hear about Take That jumping on the bandwagon and planning to regroup....... =p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home