Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Papa Leon

"How are you, Mich?" Leon enquired.

"Do you want the truth or a lie?" I jibbed.

With that, we had an hour long conversation. Leon's truly my guardian angel. Whenever I'm down in the dumps, he'll appear to set things right, as if on cue. He's the life buoy keeping me afloat and the person who's protected me from the start. Permanently based in Sydney, he takes the effort to maintain our friendship, which is "schweet" (a term I'd coined for him). Some are intimidated as Leon's uncle is the current CJ but not us. His status and wealth have never been a concern and he dislikes mingling with socialites but has little choice. Like Des, he has a worldly charm. Genuine to a fault, shrieks of "I hate you, Leon!" only triggers a smile on his face and reinforces the friendship forged between us (yes, it's pretty weird).

Personal talk aside, Leon attempted to coax me into subscribing to a gaming network, where I was assured, "Come lah, Mich. $14 per month for endless entertainment with Derek, Jen, Desmond, Elaine and our old gang. I know you don't like RPG but the rest are there. Join us!" Somehow, I'm not attracted to WoW, which incidentally isn't exactly wow to me, but that's just my biased opinion. The only association I have with Maple comes in the form of maple syrup. So, yeah, I'll give it a pass and stick to my nerdy word games like Literati, Text Twist, Graffiti and other free Yahoo games.

I miss the old gang - frothy, silly and absolutely nutty. Derek's in Singapore while Des is all over the region and Diana's just returned for good. As for the rest, they're nestled in Sydney.

"I may be busy but I remember you, Mich" Leon assured.

"I know, Leon. I know. You're not my guardian angel for nothing!" I jested.

It feels good to have a true friend who doesn't pay you lip service, who wouldn't cushion his words to avoid tension if he thought you were in need of a verbal lashing and doesn't retort "I told you so". That's the essence and beauty of the best platonic friend a girl can have - my Papa Leon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home