Tuesday, April 10, 2007

" 爱 我 , 非你莫属 "

Think Mandopop and one could be forgiven for associating it with soppy, saccharine ballads or senseless, cringeworthy covers.

While the latter ought to be trashed for obvious reasons, I'm more forgiving towards soppy ballads, especially when they are composed, arranged and sang by the same person. Hey, at least the guy's got some talent!

I've replaced Corrinne May's Same Side of the Moon with Tank's 非你莫属. A composer, singer and lyricist like Jay Chou, Tank has a nice, soothing voice. Word of advice to Tank : Lose the punkish hair, crappy clothes and wannabe moniker - what sort of a name is Tank, anyway? Instant loss of credibility!

Anyway, his self-composed tunes appeal to the cheena side of me (yes, surprise, surprise, I have a cheena alter-ego, although I find it highly amusing when people raise their eyebrows and gasp, "You listen to Chinese music?!" as if it were vermin. Yes, I do like my Corrinne Mays, Rene Maries, Norah Jones, Rachael Yamagatas, Michael Bubles, Switchfoots as much as my Jay Chous and Jolins. )

It really depends on my mood, actually.

R&B calls for some shaking of the booty. (Akon's Smack That & Black Eyed Peas, anyone?)

Jazz/Lounge with the likes of Corrinne May & Buble are best left for late, lonely nights.

Billboard hits are good to while the time away / in the shower.

Chinese soppy ballads, to me, tuck away the smooth lambada as the message is often pretty direct - 我爱你, 你爱我。Heh.

Hopefully, you will find this embedded tune pleasing to your ears!

Particularly endearing are these lines, loosely translated below:

懂得让我流泪的人
The source of my tears
给的感动一定是最深
Must be from the one who has touched me deeply.

"爱 我 . 非你莫属"
Love. Me. I want only You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home