Monday, October 15, 2007

Since 2001.

"Come away, O Human Child
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand.
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand."


A satisfying movie engages all, or most, of your faculties, albeit weaning on extremities. Quelling all attempts at intellectual scrutiny, AI is perhaps, by far, the only movie since 2001 to have evoked repeated incidents of uncontrollable sobs - quivering, mind you - as the credits roll. Forget the Pinocchio metaphor, the directorial hybrid between Kubrick and Spielberg, the futuristic mire, human transgressions and criticisms of piddled inertia. (Note: I love long, slow-moving films.).

AI's yearning for love is simple, real and tangible. At least, to me.

Naiveté
    David : Mommy, will you die?
    Monica : Well, one day, David, yes, I will.
    David : I'll be alone.
    Monica : Don't worry yourself so.
    David : (resting his head on Monica's lap) How long will you live?
    Monica : For ages. For fifty years.
    David : I love you, Mommy. I hope you never die. Never.
Abandonment
    Monica : You won't understand the reasons but I have to leave you here.
    David : Is it a game?
    Monica : No.
    David : When will you come back for me?
    Monica : I'm not, David. You'll have to be here by yourself.
    David : Alone?
    Monica : With Teddy.
    David : No. No, no, no! No, Mommy, please! No, no! Please, Mommy!
    Monica :They would destroy you, David!
    David : I'm sorry I broke myself. I'm so sorry I cut your hair off. I'm sorry I hurt Martin.
    Monica : I have to go. I have to go! Stop it! I have to go now.
    David : Mommy, don't! Mommy if Pinocchio became real and I become a real boy can I come home?
    Monica : That's just a story.
    David : But a story tells what happens.
    Monica : Stories are not real! You're not real!
    David : Why do you want to leave me? Why? I'm sorry I'm not real. If you let me, I'll be so real for you!
    Monica : Let go, David! Let go! I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the world.
Hope
    David : After I find the Blue Fairy, then, I can go home. Mommy will love a real boy. The Blue Fairy will make me into one.
Denial
    David : My mommy doesn't hate me! Because I'm special! And unique! Because there's never been anyone like me before, ever! Mommy loves Martin because he is real, and when I am real, Mommy's going to read to me and tuck me in my bed and sing to me and listen to what I say and she will cuddle with me and tell me every day a hundred times a day that she loves me!

    Gigolo Joe : She loves what you do for her, as my customers love what it is I do for them. But she does not love you, David. She cannot love you. You are neither flesh, nor blood. You are not a dog, a cat, or a canary. You were designed and built specific, like the rest of us. And you are alone now only because they're tired of you, or replaced you with a younger model, or were displeased with something you said, or broke.
Childlike Conviction
    Blue Fairy : You have been searching for me, haven't you, David?
    David : For....my whole life.
Finality
    Monica : I love you, David. I do love you. (whispers) I have always loved you.
    Narrator : That was the everlasting moment he had been waiting for. And the moment had passed, for Monica was sound asleep - more than asleep. Should he shake her, she would never rouse. So David went to sleep too. And for the first time in his life, he went to that place where dreams are born.

A distinct favourite despite being a 2001 film & having been watched repeatedly ad nauseum.

*For the entire script & audio scenes, click here.
In addition, comprehensive details can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home