Monday, January 07, 2008

A Hike of the Expensive Kind.

By now, the topic of the hike in cab fares has been mentioned ad nauseum.

Prior to the steep increase, I had no idea that my monthly expenditure on taxi fares was equivalent to the GDP of a third-world nation. Right, I jest. Seriously, I was literally flagging away close to $500 each month. An avid fan of Comfort DelGro & Citycab, I paid little heed to the fact that this insane amount could get me a nice little car in tow.

To me, it didn't make sense to teeter 20-25 minutes at the bus stop for a 10-minute ride. (Hello, SBS? It is faster for me to get to Bugis by train than to arrive at Bedok Interchange by bus. Preposterous!) Trains were a breeze till being propped under towering armpits became a given and noses came into contact one another. As petite as I may be, I am a solid. As we've learnt in Science, thou shalt not be compressed!

Thanks to the exponential increase, my utopian mode of transport is now far from the ideal.

Flagrant disregard for the initial hike meant I had to learn it the hard way. Agape was I when the meter read $16.80 instead of $9.80. (Aside from the fixed surcharge, how one derived the figure 35% to begin with baffles me.)

It doesn't take a genius to realise that at this rate, I could well be paying for a second-hand BMW in time to come.

So, I've been trying (old habits die hard) to resort to public transport and resisting the urge for my arm to do its gravity-defying lift.

My word, as I type this, I do realise that I am running late.

No matter. There's always the cab.

Oops! =X

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home