Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Think Before You Speak.

Is lauding one's achievements an imperative to be taken seriously or, at the very least, to avoid being disparaged?

To boast of what I have, to list connections or otherwise, is not a strategm employed. Circumventing talk about my job, my finances or what expensive gadgets/items I've purchased underlies the notion that these subjects are of incognito and should bear no consequence to fraternal relations.

If I must, here's a sample:
  • My new job entails a paycheque of $5k. [ Juxtaposed against peers with salaries of $10k and above, that sum pales in comparison but I'm happy that it is a notch above the average income. ]
  • In my previous job, I was forced into a promotion of Music Coordinator after two consecutive years of refusing to accept the positions of Art Coordinator & English Coordinator. [ I know You think nothing of that, but where I was, being a Coordinator means you're well on your way to HOD in time to come. ]
  • Being the sole person to be selected for a full-scale lesson observation under the watchful eyes of the visiting Permanent Secretary of the Ministry was definitely a highlight in my career.
  • My command of the language precipitated the vetting of most English examination papers throughout the year.
  • I was one of the only two to be selected for the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board for PSLE.
  • A bill amounting to $10k was chalked up for just my wedding photographs at Chris Ling's, the renowned wedding photograper in Singapore.
  • The cost of my wedding gowns alone was $3k.
  • My diamond ring from the Man, a solitaire of 0.72 carats, is a whisker away from $10k.
  • The Man's changed his car twice in 3 years.
  • Connections with the Uppers resulted in a decision by the Uppers to override a certain principal,with the situation in favour of me and a personal trip made by the Uppers. The aforementioned principal had to eat humble pie and upon the realisation of Mich's connections with the Uppers, attempted to burrow her way into Mich's good books instead. What a sorry sight that was!
  • Almost all my relatives on the maternal side are millionaires.
  • A certain Minister used to pop by often at my grandmother's home (where I spent most afternoons with Mum) to chat with Uncle. As his constant appearance and boisterous laughter disrupted the peace required for academia, it annoyed me!
  • My cousin owns a recording company and counts Dick Lee, Jacintha, Tracy Huang and the like as his earlier prodigies.
  • Mum and MM Goh share the same godmother. [ Can You beat that? ]
  • Mum's best friend, who owns several hotels in the USA, is the niece of the deceased Moti Melwani. The 3 pioneers of the Melwani empire were fond of Mum and a part of my childhood was spent playing at their homes. [ For the uninitiated, the Melwanis are one of the most prolific socialites in Singapore. International brands like Levi's are under the belt of their organisation. ]
  • Currently, my closest childhood friends are Assistant Directors in 2 Ministries and another is the right-hand lady of a Minister.
  • I'm often quoted in the local newspapers and articles have been written based on my opinions.
  • Much personal time has been spent with children whose lives have been changed. Their mothers have written long letters of gratitude. [ I know that You're under the impression that Mich can scarcely teach, much less influence, mould and transform children. ]

Am I starting to sound like an annoying showoff?

That is precisely why I do not see the need to list pompous details or even make mere mention of them. Adopting a stance of grandiose and enunciating the magnitude of their influence or capability seems to be an artful pursuit by some. The comprehension of such ilk eludes me. Likewise, it is not my priority to assume the role of an attention-seeker - wielding many acquaintances, but confidante to none.

Character, Loyalty & Integrity are what I value and seek in friends.

So should You think of Mich as a pampered princess, a less-than productive worker, a bimbotic giggler and the like, think before You belittle her.

She doesn't need acknowledgement nor gratification arising from peer envy.

Mich is not as superficial as You are. For every notch up the ladder, Mich reminds herself that there will always be someone who is richer/more capable/more deserving. Material possessions are but of germane transience. Your vexatious character is fleshed out upon the postulating of oneself as the constant Leader / Big Brother or Sister / Boss.

Confidence and sheer Arrogance toe the line precariously on opposing ends.

Thus, she beseeches You to undertake a fraction of Humility, to resist the impertinence of exulting what You have and instead, to focus your eyes on being contented with Your lot in life, to be a Giver & Helper, whoever You may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home