Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Unappreciated.

As mentioned in my MSN and Facebook status, I feel unappreciated despite trying to make someone happy.

Friend X had incurred financial losses amounting to a 6-figure sum.

Although her entire savings was far from being wiped out, it was, after all, a substantial amount. ( Apologies for the gross understatement. How many of us actually have 6-figured sums stashed away in cash? )

This coincided with the unprecedented (and untimely) end of a relationship, thereby harnessing the full potential of a meltdown. After recuperating in Paris (poor folks like me simply hibernate at home and shut the world out), she was soon back on her feet.

Having had the experience of a full-scale depression, I could empathise with her situation and kindly extended an invitation to Friend X. I didn't want her to be alone on Christmas Eve. This, she accepted readily.

Out of respect, I sought her opinion on dining locations & post-dining activities. Nary did a reply arrive in my phone. (History has it in the annals that she'd only reply when she deemed fit.) Despite numerous efforts in collating a decent programme for the night, there was scarcely a faint whisper on her part.

Suffice to say, I did not expect her to reply immediately but surely an answer within 48 hours was reasonable?

Days gave way to weeks.

Out of consideration for her feelings, I did not make a concrete decision nor secure a prior booking. (On a pragmatic note, hotels and chi-chi places usually require an upfront payment with a credit card upon reservation.)

It's now 23rd December, the eve of Christmas Eve.

Most hotels have been fully booked and last-minute scuttling would be bordering on futility.

My frustration stems not from lacking a nice place to dine (Sushi Tei would suffice,really.) but rather the inevitable striking notion of being taken for granted.

Perhaps in your opinion, I should have forged ahead with my own plans, thereby ignoring her whims and fancies.

However, I'm crippled by my innate inclination to make others happy, to put a smile on the faces of people around me, even at my own expense. Silly perhaps, but nonetheless, an integral part of me.

Friend Y gave his two cents' worth on the issue and declared that I'm "too nice", which was a backhanded irony, since I'd echoed the same sentiments about Del the day before.

And yes, I do feel Hurt.

I am, after all, only human.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home