Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"I Believe You Do It So That People Will Love You."



"I believe you do it so that people will love you."

This line resonated with me as did Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire - constantly searching, yearning, trying to be flawless, yet deeply unhappy.

And this scene dug deep into my memory closet.

The references and parallels in the movie are far too numerous to ignore.

The pages turn. To the time when You looked me in the eye and took a step forward but I'd let that one single chance slip.

And it's all to be buried in the past.

~

GRAY: Would it help to unburden yourself?

GEORGIANA: It’s nothing I can discuss with you. Besides, it would only bore.

GRAY: You don’t have to please others all the time.

GEORGIANA: It’s what I’ve been brought up to do. Difficult lesson to unlearn.

GRAY: Would you permit me an observation?

[GEORGIANA looks at him; there is pain in her eyes.]

GRAY: I believe you do it so that people will love you.

GEORGIANA: What makes you say that?

GRAY: From what I’ve seen. With your husband, your friends, especially Lady Bess. Even the public.

GEORGIANA: I never thought of it that way before.
[angrily, walking away hurriedly, breathing harshly] You make me sound so pitiful.

GRAY: Georgiana! I’ve gone beyond my brief. I apologize. Please believe it was only for your sake that I spoke. [earnestly] Please, tell me what is wrong.

GEORGIANA: [quietly] I fear I’ve done some things in life too late, and others too early.

GRAY: [steps forward] No, you haven’t. [kisses her]

~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home