Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Why, This Gnawing Guilt.

At the stroke of midnight, suffice to say, there was a lack of grandeur and pomp as Cinderella existed only in fairy tales.

M, Y & I were seated at a nondescript fast food outlet. Famished, we wolved down our edibles rapidly; we had just attended a 3-hour wake of our former colleague's mother.

While my tongue reeled in felicity at the burst of manufactured flavours, the jaw gave way to an unhinged gasp.

It was YL.

A shadow of her former self, she appeared weathered and frail. M & Y failed to recognise her but I singled her out immediately.

After all, we had been the best of friends at work. She had been my superior and I was accountable to her professionally. When the bell rang, we were peers who went out daily and giggled like two peas in a pod.

I had just started my journey in this field while she was a veteran. Snooty and dressed to the nines, she was highly selective about her friends and did not engage in small talk. For some reason, we drew close and went everywhere together. I thought that I was real Blessed to have a best friend who was capable, successful, pretty and fun to hang out with.

Then MF arrived and wheedled YL away with playground politics; she wasted no time in spreading lies about me and engaged in numerous childish antics. YL fell for it and stopped talking to me.

Unwilling to sink to her level, I walked away from these silly mind games that MF was prone to conjure and naturally, YL soon faded from the timeline of my life.

I am not one to bear grudges nor harbour bitterness. I would rather have a Friend than be stoked at the Enemy notch.

'Perhaps she does not want me to see her in this state; perhaps she would ignore me if I were to greet her. Perhaps...' Excuses and their ilk piled as fear circumvented a simple Hello. The fear of rejection stemming from senseless pride had me looking the other way tonight.

I'd wanted to reach out to YL but I turned away instead and let the hurts of yesterday trail in her wake.

I wish you well, my Friend.

I hope Life will be kind to you.

#bffs #yesteryear #mac

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home